Saturday, October 25, 2008

I'm in Antarctica

Well, I am in Antarctica! That is enough to say, more than most people you know can or may say, not to brag! I have been here for almost 2 months now and some of the following posts should show some of the experiences that I have had, since I am catching up now, deciding just now to blog about my new lifestyle. I found out that it cost approximately $250,000 to fly 1 plain-load down here, which I am the 3rd of many plainloads, but lucky enough to get here a month before most! I first arrived here and made the population almost 350 people. It was awesome to meet the people who had been here for the whole winter, being i think around 120 people and getting their perspective on what it's like here in Antarctica with a very small community. I will be cooking for around 1000 people, give or take 150 people throughout the season. It's much different coming from a kitchen where 300 people is "cooking the hard way" and making us earn our pay x 10, to where it's now a small amount to cook for. This year is differnet though and we don't have as much "freshies", or fresh produce, to cook with and so we have it pretty easy, cooking with a lot of frozen/ canned produce for everyone, only gettting some fresh produce in for everyone, where we have to show off the fresh produce, so as for people to appreciate it more! I will be down here for about 4 more months where the temperature should eventually get up to 30's, being that it was average of -25 when I got here and about 5 degrees now. I hope that the next few blogs explain what it is like to be at the bottom of the world more!

No comments: